Health care providers:
family and emergency physicians
- nurse practitioners and physician’s assistants
Over the next few years, it is widely expected that persons who sustained concussions will become more aware of the variety of IVD technologies and therapies available. Consequently, healthcare providers must ensure that they stay abreast of the latest available laboratory tests as community takes a more proactive role in their own healthcare and demand more information.
- 43,779 active duty personnel who have been diagnosed with a TBI in calendar years 2003 through 2007 (US Military Casualty Statistics, Mar 25, 2009,
- 2,669 patients between the same 2003 and 2007 were treated; however, physicians believe many less obvious brain injury cases go undetected (Hall, K.M. Army conducts brain tests on soldiers. (2007) Assoc. Press Writer, Sep 19).
- Soldiers sometimes walk away from explosions with no obvious injuries, and they can recover with rest and time away from the battlefield.
- The military estimates that one-fifth of troops with these mild injuries will have prolonged or life-long symptom requiring continuing care.
National Hockey League (NHL)
National Football League
2010 - 218 concussions in 321 combined preseason & regular season games
2011 - 190 concussions in 320 combined preseason & regular season games
2012 - 217 concussions in 333 combined preseason & regular season games
Schools and Colleges:
Among the more than 38 million boys and girls that participate in organized youth sports in the U.S. today, concussions are one of the most commonly reported injuries. Youth sports coaches are on the front line in the effort to identify and respond to concussions (CDC activity report “Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports”, 2007-2008).
Historically, it is estimated that there are over 300,000 sports related concussions annually in the United States alone although the media has more recently reported as many as 3.8 million concussions annually.
Product/Service price: GRACE Labs offers the products as:
CLIA service (according request requisition form from physician, contact for price)
Research Mode orders when samples collected according to approved IRB protocols (should be presented) and shipped to GRACE Labs - plasma samples for concussion assay and serum samples for PTE (contact for price)
Test kit for 89 unknown plasma samples (contact for price)
Our target customers with business size about 1.6 million in U.S. along (http://research.fit.edu/concussion/about.php)
Age: 15-24 year old and elderly persons
Activities & Interests: sport and recreation, military